A Cook County Judge has set a $100,000 bond and for Empire star Jussie Smollett and that he must surrender his passport. That’s according to the Associated Press.
Smollett did not say much at the bond hearing Thursday afternoon outside of his name.
Smollett’s attorney asked for him to be released on recognizance, but the judge denied that saying it would be inappropriate.
“Empire” actor Jussie Smollett’s bond has been set at $100,000 and he must surrender his passport.
“He was stone faced,” says @nickwattcnn who was inside the hearing and explains what happened. https://t.co/x0xDPiaghI pic.twitter.com/bwhptr8EDe— CNN Newsroom (@CNNnewsroom) February 21, 2019
According to CNN, Smollett will post bond and be released with supervision.
President Donald Trump also weighed in on the case this afternoon on Twitter. During the fake attack, Smollett said his assailants yelled “MAGA country” in an ode to President Trump’s ‘Make American Great Again’ slogan.
.@JussieSmollett – what about MAGA and the tens of millions of people you insulted with your racist and dangerous comments!? #MAGA— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 21, 2019
“Empire” actor Jussie Smollett has surrendered to Chicago police and is due in court later Thursday to face a felony charge of disorderly conduct for allegedly making a false police report when he said he was attacked in Streeterville by two men who yelled racist and anti-gay slurs and looped a noose around his neck.
Smollett, 36, turned himself in early Thursday, according to police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. He is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing later in the day. If convicted, he faces up to three years in jail and could be ordered to pay for the cost of the investigation, which involved more than 20 detectives over three weeks.
Chicago police superintendent Eddie Johnson has scheduled a news conference to discuss the case at 9 a.m. Thursday. Accompanying him will be the detective commander of Area Central, which handled the investigation.
It’s official. Empire star Jussie Smollett has been formally charged with Filing a False Police Report/Disorderly Conduct in connection to the orchestrated attack on himself. The charge is a 4th-degree felony.
Smollett claimed that he was attacked by two people who beat him, poured bleach on him, put a noose around his neck, and yelled that this was “MAGA country” while he was returning to his downtown Chicago home on the night of January 29th.
Felony criminal charges have been approved by @CookCountySAO against Jussie Smollett for Disorderly Conduct / Filing a False Police Report. Detectives will make contact with his legal team to negotiate a reasonable surrender for his arrest. pic.twitter.com/LvBSYE2kVj — Anthony Guglielmi (@AJGuglielmi) February 21, 2019
Following the attack, the only piece of evidence police officers found was surveillance footage of two suspicious men, who were later identified as two Nigerian brothers, Ola and Abel Osundairo, both friends and accomplices in the staged attack.
Both brothers were set to testify during a grand jury hearing on Wednesday, but that was called off after Smollett and his attorney’s agreed to speak with police.
Search warrants had already been issued.
EXCLUSIVE: I tracked down surveillance of the Osundairo’s buying supplies before “attack” Sources say Jussie Smollet told brothers what to buy. Countless phone calls placed for this. Visited more stores than I wish to admit. @cbschicagohttps://t.co/GT6h2g6Y9apic.twitter.com/ULr3UTDe9Q — Charlie De Mar (@CharlieDeMar) February 20, 2019
According to ABC13, the brothers were brought in for questioning, but were not charged.
According to CBS Chicago, the brothers told police they received $3,500 to stage the attack.
Smollet’s version of the story continued to unravel after police say a person who lived in Smollett’s building saw all three men together in an elevator the night in question.
Frauds are everywhere y’all. Protect the mind, heart and spirit of you and your people at all costs. Just remember… Salt, cocaine and anthrax can all appear to be sugar…(the “refined” kind of course) just be careful out here fam. Happy Sunday. Love you. Real talk. Love on. — Jussie Smollett (@JussieSmollett) January 27, 2019
The Empire star went on ABC’s Good Morning America and defended himself, saying the attack was not a hoax and that he was being truthful.
He also pointed out that he had received a threatening letter just a few weeks before the incident in question.
Both the FBI and USPS are investigating the letter and whether Smollett played a role in sending it.
According to some outlets, it’s believed Smollett planned the attack after the letter did not receive enough media attention.
© 2019 Bright Mountain Media, Inc. All rights reserved. The content of this webpage may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written consent of Bright Mountain Media, Inc. which may be contacted at email@example.com, ticker BMTM.